Sunday, 22 March 2015

Last moments... and tender goodbyes...

I woke up early everyday... sleep was not my friend this trip.  I headed down most mornings to have my morning coffee and quiet moments in the monastery's peaceful gardens and when I wasn't there, I spent some quiet moments in the monastery's private chapel.  This final day was no different... I headed out early to go and visit the Duomo, one last time and to grab some last moments of quiet and some beautiful photos... being out in Orvieto so early was one of the most beautiful things I did this trip... I got to see the locals heading to work.  I got to see the students heading to school and college.  It felt like I got a glimpse, not of the picture perfect Orvieto, as a tourist but of LIFE in Orvieto... and I just loved that.

Love the clock tower in the morning mist and the early morning delivery vehicle.
The busy streets of Orvieto...

It's so busy...

I got back in time for breakfast and heard that Misty's flight had been cancelled.  We were both flying Air France but going different routes so I didn't even consider that my flight would be an issue.  Misty's flight was cancelled in the way in but mine wasn't... 
We headed to the BlueBar to check in and book my seat home and we also wanted to book our train ticket to the airport.  I logged on and blow me down... my flight too had been cancelled.
Air France was striking and the airport was in a total mess...  I was shocked.
I quickly got hold of Digz and he got hold of my travel agent - they promptly rerouted my trip but I had to go via Egypt.
And let me just say... I was NOT happy!
From feeling pretty calm about traveling home - I suddenly wasn't anymore.
I parked it.  And headed back to the group.

We were off on our final adventure to hear about the history of paper, paper marbling and printing, the good old fashioned way.  This was really a wonderful highlight from our trip.

He shared so much history with us... incredible stories.
Some of my purchases from his shop... totally in love.
the green box is handmade chocolate to see me home

After this we headed back to the studio to clean up, pack up and wrap up.  Our studio time was officially over.  It's always sad.  But as they say... all good things come to an end.  Except this end just felt heavier though.  Misty was emotional about her flight and her trip home, I was silently stressing about my trip too and plus we had to say goodbye and I think deep inside - we were probably all wondering when will we see each other again.  Who knows what life will bring... next!
Whatever it was, it felt deep.

Going home with beautiful treasures... oh and some new pieces and some to finish.

How incredible is our group... ahhh I love this capture.
I love how we are all intuitively wearing blue.
It was a big group but we were remarkable together.  For most of us having returned for a second and third time and the rest pretty much all knowing each other online from classes and Facebook and Instagram - made the group dynamic together...  We had so many laughs and an easy report with each other.  I think it was pretty unique and was pretty special.

We headed out to have our final meal together and say our goodbyes... Renee and Camilla were leaving before sunrise.  I don't want to say goodbye.

Annie and I got to sit with Misty and John and a few others and we were able to hear about Misty's journey to how this all happened for her... her beautiful story was really touching and the most powerful thing that stood out to me was that... it was a journey.  How one thing led to another and it evolved through time, through showing up and generously sharing.

A beautiful creative testimony of doing something you love and the fruits that come from that.

What an incredible time.  I'm truly blown away.


  1. I loved seeing photos of your trip and artworks you created. What an amazing experience! Thank you for sharing!

    1. thank you my dear friend. Next time you are coming with!